shibboleth-dev - profiling Lionshare use of Shibboleth

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

profiling Lionshare use of Shibboleth

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: profiling Lionshare use of Shibboleth
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:12:52 -0500

For today's call:

At the bottom of this note, I've pasted in a step by step definition of the LS flow using Shibboleth. I've attempted to extract from that set of numbered steps the additional requirements that LS would impose on a Shib implementation.

Draft of topics to be covered in an LS profile of Shib:

1) the AA MUST support creating Assertions consistent with HoK confirmation method. Defined in Section 5.1 of oasis-sstc-saml-bindings-1.1.pdf. An Assertion containing this confirmation method will only be issued in response to an <AuthenticationQuery> submitted overan SSL tunnel. The key inserted into the <ds:KeyInfo> element will be the key used to establish the SSL connection.

2) AA MUST sign Assertions (I believe it already can do this...)

3) the AA recognize that an entity is requesting attributes about itself. This probably is outside the scope of the Shib Arhc/protocol... but needs to be defined somewhere.....

Comments please.....

---- Proposed Flow for LionShare using Shibboleth ---------------------

0) Peer 1 obtains local authentication credentials

1) Peer 1 generates 2 RSA keypairs, creates a connection to the local SASL-CA, authenticates, and sends both public keys to the SASL-CA.

2) SASL-CA uses the authenticated identity to retrieve attributes from the local attribute repository to construct appropriate certificates. (LS is using Shib's AA code, so the repository interface has been generalized in the same fashion.)

3) SASL-CA builds and returns two certs to Peer 1. The server cert contains the identity of the person operating Peer 1; the client cert does not contain identity (rather, it has an encrypted handle in the Subject field). Both cert's are signed by the local SASL-CA, which should be using a cert whose "trustworthiness" can be proven using the federation supplied trust files.

4) Peer 1 sends a Gnutella Query message to its Ultrapeers

5) The Ultrapeer routes the query to other Lionshare peers.

6) Peer 2 returns a QueryHit message. This includes a metadata structure signed with Peer 2's server cert. In this metadata is a list of the attributes which must be supplied in order to retrieve the desired object (the metadata does not specify what values are required).

7) The UltraPeer routes the QueryHit message back to Peer 1.

8) Peer 1 opens an SSL connection with the local Shibboleth AA; it uses its client cert to create the SSL tunnel. (The client cert is used because the AA will have to create the AttributeStatement's with Holder of Key confirmation, and the attributes should be bound to the client cert. ) Peer 1 sends a SAML Query Request request containing <saml:AttributeDesignator> elements for the attributes which are desired.

The AA will need some way of determining that a user is requesting his own attributes (and thus to bypass the ARP code).

-- how to do this? handle in cert refers to same person as the enclosed Subject element?

9) The AA validates the supplied SSL tunnel, uses the supplied <saml:AttributeDesignator> to determine which attributes are desired, and uses the handle from the supplied cert to identify the user and retrieve values from the user's directory object. The AA creates and signs an Attribute Assertion; it places the supplied public key in the Subject element so that it can later be used with the HoK confirmation method..

10) Shibboleth AA returns signed Attribute Assertions to Peer 1.

11) Peer 1 opens a mutually authenticated SSL connection with Peer 2 using its client cert.

12) Peer 1 POSTs a request to Peer 2. The POSTed form contains the previously acquired Attribute Assertion, and the url of the requested resource.

13) Peer 2 validates the supplied Attribute Assertion, using standard Shibboleth validation processes. It also performs HoK validation.

14) If necessary, Peer 2 uses the supplied attributes to make an access control decision.

15) Peer 2 returns the requested resource over the SSL connection.

Question -- I'm still not sure how we're going to handle the SASL-CA's signing cert. We had talked before about not validating the client certs when Peer1 makes a connection to Peer2. But when I thought about it further, I realized that the AA will have to validate the client cert when Peer1 connects to it to get attributes. So it looks like we will have to have the SASL-CA's signing cert in the federation metadata somehow.

Suggestion -- have the cert used by the SASL-CA rooted in a CA that appears in the federation metadata

  • profiling Lionshare use of Shibboleth, Steven_Carmody, 11/29/2004