shibboleth-dev - Shibboleth v1.2 Now Available

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Shibboleth v1.2 Now Available

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Shibboleth v1.2 Now Available
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 12:56:48 -0400

[We're sorry if you receive duplicates of this message. We've sent it to multiple lists, in order to ensure that the entire Shibboleth community receives this announcement.]

The Internet2 Shibboleth team is pleased to announce the availability of release 1.2 of its Shibboleth implementation. This new release contains many improvements and enhancements. A partial list is available by going to the Shibboleth web site ( http://shibboleth.internet2.edu ) and clicking on "Shibboleth v1.2 Software Now Available" at the top of the page.

This new version will interoperate with the previous 1.0 and 1.1 versions. However, the new version does contain a number of important bug fixes and performance improvements. We would strongly recommend that sites running older versions upgrade to 1.2 as soon as their schedule allows. We have not provided an Upgrade Guide, because v1.2 made many changes to the configuration process. However, we have provided cookbooks describing both the minimal configuration changes required for local testing, and for joining the InQueue Federation.

This new release contains many improvements and enhancements. Origins and Targets will have significantly more flexibility in configuring themselves to meet the demands of publishing static and dynamic content, supporting multiple applications, from multiple vhosts, while being a member of multiple federations. Targets will also support "lazy" sessions, deferring the creation of a Shibboleth session until the application determines it is needed. This will allow a single URL to provide access to both open and protected content. Origins and Targets support configuring global values for many Properties, while overriding some or all of these for specific sites. This release includes support for several types of key and certificate formats. The Shibboleth target will run with the Apache 2.0 Web server as well as the previously supported Apache 1.3.x, and IIS 5.x and 6. The target will provide improved plugability for many aspects of the system, including access control modules. Go to http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/release/Shib-1.2-features.html to view a complete list of the changes.

With this release, there are separate distributions for origin and target components. The origin implementation is entirely in java, so there is one package for all platforms. The target side implementation has been tested on Red Hat Linux versions 9 and ES3.0, Debian Linux, on Solaris 2.8, and on Windows 2000 and 2003. With this release, we have discontinued out previous practice of providing target-side binaries. With a growing number of target platforms, this became impractical. In addition, as more and more sites move Shibboleth into production, we see that they're building from source before they deploy (rather than using binaries). Lastly, the build process has gotten much easier... since current operating system releases already contain many of the library versions we are dependent on. Tarballs containing the final version of the source can be downloaded via the Shib v1.2 announce page.