shibboleth-dev - RE: target providerId question

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: target providerId question

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Thomas Lenggenhager' <>,
  • Subject: RE: target providerId question
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:42:35 -0400

> In the IQ-sites.xml (CVS 1.2) you find DestinationSite entries but the
> DestinationSite uses a URN instead of a URL for the Name.

A providerId is defined as a URI. Both of those qualify. We stuck with URNs
for the sample sites in InQueue because...well, no specific reason.

> Shouldn't the providerId in a target config match a Name of a
> DestinationSite tag on the origin side to allow communication?
> Or what for is the Name in DestinationSite else used?

The shibboleth.xml out of the box is not an InQueue target. That was
something we specifically tried to avoid. There are some InQueue sample
bits, but by and large, the installed configuration is for private testing
only. The deploy guide mentions this.

Anyway, if you look at the origin, it contains a DestinationSite definition
for this same "private" service, as well as a commented out reference to a
couple of the InQueue sites, but it is commented out. So yes, the target's
providerId *does* match a DestinationSite in the origin config.

> Having one or two complete example configs of matching origin and target
> installations would help a lot, in addition to the deployment guides.

The default *does* match. As does the IQ-sites.xml pair included with both.