shibboleth-dev - Logging / crash frequency

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Logging / crash frequency

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Logging / crash frequency
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:06:06 -0400

Based on a day of testing and a discovery, at least some of the target
crashes appear to be caused by a problem in how the logging library
configures itself at build time for thread safety. I wasn't aware of it, but
the --with-pthreads option I was using isn't implemented correctly by the
author, and the problem is worse on Solaris than Linux because Solaris' libc
contains dummy versions of POSIX thread calls that fool badly written
autoconf tests.

I've figured out what appear to be the right flags to set during configure
for Linux and Solaris, and am doing more testing, but my preliminary results
suggest that while other problems probably exist, the "2 minutes and out"
behavior on Solaris is almost certainly caused by this.

So far, it appears that the PatternLayout option does work ok as long as the
log4cpp build is actually thread-safe, so I'll probably reenable that as the
default.

Linux is still behaving somewhat erratically after running for a while, but
a change to the log4cpp build there seems to have had some effect. Solaris
I'm not sure about yet (I'm about 10 minutes in), but it's clearly better
than it was.

-- Scott

  • Logging / crash frequency, Scott Cantor, 05/13/2004