shibboleth-dev - RE: Mockup for Monday's conference call

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Mockup for Monday's conference call

  • From: Peter Murray <>
  • To: Jennifer Vine <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: Mockup for Monday's conference call
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 22:14:38 -0400

--On Tuesday, April 27, 2004 1:15 PM -0700 Jennifer Vine <> wrote:
Sorry, this message got lost behind a flurry of administrivia I just
cleared out of my email folders.

I fell into the same boat. I'm getting my head above water just long enough for the wave of four solid days of WebCT Vista strategic planning to happen this week.

One of the key pieces for this for library (or, eventually, end user)
to specify the unique-yet-not-identifiable attribute back to the
resource provider for the purpose of offering a customized
environment in an anonymous setting. I expect it may be one of the
attributes that can be added to the policy (the pull-down list on
<http://www.stanford.edu/~jvine/shibboleth/mockups/7/custom.html>),
but I wanted to be sure it was accounted for, maybe even in a
explicit way before sending the mockup out to the focus group.

I think what you're asking about here is the "targeted ID", which also
didn't come up in the calls. In the context of accepting a template
as-is and applying it to a community - would the "targeted ID" simply
be something that was agreed upon in the contract, and expressed by an
attribute or combination of attributes in the template?

I don't expect it would be in the contract or in the vendor-supplied template. "Targeted ID" doesn't ring a bell in the Shibboleth architecture, but what I was thinking of was closer to the 'Indexical Reference' -- something that uniquely, but opaquely, identifies a user and (unlike a Handle) is persistent over long periods of time.

This would be used to set up customized features in a target's service (e.g. saved searches, a "my bookbag" functionality) that would be available over time but would be done in such a way that the user's identity is exposed through the Shibboleth protocol. (The user may choose to expose it in other ways, such as providing an e-mail address or other information to the target's services.)

One of the hot new topics in library automation now is the creation
of "Electronic Resource Management" tools.
[...]
The reason for bringing all of this up, though, is there will likely
be a need for an automated way to move information from an Electronic
Resource Management tool in the libraries to the ARP.

Yeesh, I thought this was a hot new topic when I moved out of library
automation a decade ago... :-) But it also came up from someone else
- Beth? - in yesterday's call, and I don't recall or didn't capture
in my notes what we decided, if anything. It looks to me like the UI
implications of data exchange with an ERM are not huge - common
terminology where appropriate, things of that nature.

It probably depends on the specifications of the 'template'. The Digital Library Federation has gone through a great deal of work to specify an 'Electronic Resource Management' framework -- complete with "common specifications and tools for managing the license agreements, related administrative information, and internal processes associated with collections of licensed electronic resources." The first paragraph of their Problem Statement might sound a bit familiar to some of the issues solved of Shibboleth and the ARP editor:

Libraries and vendors face significant challenges in the new
digital publishing environment. One of these challenges is to
manage the information and workflows necessary to acquire and
provide access to electronic resources. The growth of electronic
journals and databases has both complicated and transformed the
acquisition and servicing of library materials. New information
and workflows are required to evaluate, select, acquire, license,
catalog, and manage electronic products throughout their
life-cycle.
<http://www.diglib.org/standards/dlf-erm02.htm>

All told, it may be a superset of information that is in the template, but I haven't found any documentation describing what is in there yet.

Peter
--
Peter Murray http://www.pandc.org/peter/work/
Assistant to the Director for Technology Initiatives 860-486-6771

  • RE: Mockup for Monday's conference call, Peter Murray, 05/09/2004