shibboleth-dev - Re: Role based authorisation - some questions for deployers of the Shib target from the UKeduperson study

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Role based authorisation - some questions for deployers of the Shib target from the UKeduperson study

  • From:
  • To: Simon McLeish <>
  • Cc: , , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Role based authorisation - some questions for deployers of the Shib target from the UKeduperson study
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:48:50 -0400

At 4:50 PM +0100 4/30/04, Simon McLeish wrote:
We would like to ask a few questions about how Shib targets (principally commercial targets, though other responses are welcome) are planning to use the role based authorisation made possible by software such as Shibboleth. If possible, answers by the end of next week (7 May 2004).

I'm not sure how many of the vendors are on these lists; we often communicate with them directly. We could also use the Shib ACA-SIG forum....

Based on our conversations with a number of these vendors, tho, let me try to provide some feedback.

-- most of the contracts that we've encountered so far have been of the "students, faculty, staff,and library walkins are authorized to use the licensed resource" variety. In these situations, the two parties will be using a Federation-defined entitlement value to describe whether a specific browser user is authorized.

-- many/most of the vendors have been keenly interested in the targetedId attribute. This would allow them to personalize their service for each user, while allowing the user to remain anonymous.

-- some of the vendors (especially those targeting the medical community) have started thinking about how to use an attribute that would represent "this person is associated with the Medical School"; so far, we've talked about trying to leverage the OU attribute for this purpose.

-- I don't remember any specific discussions about using ROLEs. We have occasionally discussed "possibilities afforded by using ROLEs" with some vendors; however, I don't currently know of any specific efforts or projects in this area.

When role based authorisation becomes possible via Shibboleth do you plan to make use of it?

Shibboleth transports attributes. Those attributes can represent *anything* that the two parties agree to, including ROLEs. So, in that sense, Shibboleth today supports role-based authorization.

My sense would be that situations that could take advantage of attributes specifying ROLEs are probably web-based applications of some sort, and that these applications already include some sort of access control mechanism (ie something that can answer the question 'can this person do X with resource Y?"). If those applications are structured to use ROLEs, that Shibboleth can provide the ROLE values.

If so, then beyond identifying 'membership' (however that is defined) of an institution licensed to access your online resources, if an institution wished to license access on a more restrictive basis, what types of role or status factors would you expect to use (or, would you expect institutions to wish to use) to distinguish individuals covered by the license, from individuals with no access?

as noted above, the "more restrictive basis" situations that we've encountered so far include:

-- associated with a school or department (typically medicine, law, or business)

-- associated with a particular course (CS 101 @ brown univ)

-- associated with a particular VO

-- individually authorized at the home campus (eg searching database X at vendor Y is billed on a "per search" basis; a reference librarian at campus Y must individually grant Jane Doe the authority to search this db).

-- and probably some others that I've forgotten......

we think there's a lot of potential here.... however, everyone has to move along a learning curve....

Secondly, what functionality will you be implementing based on roles (restrict access to parts of databases; different "skins" for different types of user; better focused resource discovery; storing/tracking of searches etc.; other)? What user attributes would you wish to use to do this - please be as specific as possible, but at least indicate which of the following broad categories you would be looking for: subject areas of interest (e.g. derived from organisational unit); type of user (e.g. status/affiliation); other...

I think several of these items (eg different skins, better focused resource discovery, storing/tracking of searches) can be done by using targetedId, and don't need ROLEs..... the target doesn't need to know WHO I am in order to allow me to personalize how their site looks to me.... they just need to know that its always me (-:

  • Re: Role based authorisation - some questions for deployers of the Shib target from the UKeduperson study, Steven_Carmody, 05/07/2004