shibboleth-dev - Welcome to shibboleth-dev

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Welcome to shibboleth-dev

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Welcome to shibboleth-dev
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:52:30 -0400

Internet2 is changing its email list management software, from the ListProc package to sympa. Sympa is seeing ongoing development, and offers several functional enhancements over ListProc. Sympa provides supported for S/MIME signed messages, can be driven from an ldap server, has an easy to use web interface, and the web interface will soon be Shibboleth-enabled (for even easier use!).

At this point, the shibboleth lists have been moved to sympa. As part of this transition, we have renamed a number of the lists (to be more consistent with names used in the open source community). We've also tried to reduce the number of lists. Here are the current open enrollment shibboleth-related lists:

shibboleth-announce (was mace-shib-announce). Used by the shibboleth team to distribute news about shibboleth and federations.

inqueue-users (new) Includes technical and administrative contacts provided by IQ members. Used for discussion of federation-related issues ( eg entitlement values, etc)

shibboleth-dev (was mace-shib-design). Used for discussion of shibboleth architecture, design, and coding issues.

shibboleth-users (was mace-shib-users). Used for discussion of shibboleth deployment issues.

We have migrated list membership and archives from the previous lists, making some assumptions along the way. If you would rather not be on this list, then follow the instructions at the bottom of this note to remove yourself.

From this point on, the new lists should be used exclusively. Postings to the new lists should be sent to (listname)@internet2.edu ( eg ). The web page for a list can be found at

https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/info/(list name)

( eg https://mail.internet2.edu/wws/info/shibboleth-dev )

How does this change affect you?

1) you may have to update your nicknames/contacts file, if you have shortcuts referring to the old list names.

2) you may have to update your email filters, if you were filtering based on the old list names.

For information on subscribing to shibboleth-related lists, go to