shibboleth-dev - State of WAYF

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

State of WAYF

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: State of WAYF
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:49:55 -0400

Ok, so I've corrected all the problems I created today until the next one is
discovered.

Long story short, this is why I hate the copy, expand, edit workflow that
seems to be the way Java servers works until you figure out how badly that
blows and ask someone who knows what they're doing.

I've got it set up now the way it should be, so it should be relatively easy
to upgrade now.

All the "current" files in the InQueue origin site / federation metadata /
WAYF / whatever else are inside /opt/shibboleth-origin-1.1.

Except for the ARPs, all the origin site config points at the default paths
(/conf/handle.jks, /conf/keystore.jks, /conf/resolver.xml, etc.) The ARP
path is file:///opt/shibboleth-origin-1.1/src/conf/arps

To make a change to something, except for the ARPs, you just edit the file
in the tree, run "ant dist-all", and voila, new warfile to use. Then you can
stop Tomcat, rm -rf the webapps/InQueue tree, and replace the warfile, and
nothing's lost.

Once the 0.7 and 0.8 stuff is gone, we can turn off warfile expansion and
get it all set up for good.

I've got the SiteSigner utility script set up to maintain the sites and
trust files inside /opt now, so they can be copied over to the
/usr/local/tomcat copies, or the whole war could be rebuilt as above, but
either way the authority copies are kept with the source in /opt

I'd set up new federations/WAYFs by copying the whole source tree intact and
just building separate warfiles out of each one. Hopefully by then the
metadata at least won't be hand generated anyway.