shibboleth-dev - Re: Origin build

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Origin build

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc: "'Shib Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: Re: Origin build
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:44:44 -0400

Scott Cantor wrote:
More to the point...I spotted a bug in my persistent ID class using
resolvertest, because it doesn't use the ARPs to filter the attributes.

While it's not advisable to release TargetedID to a null requester, the
resolver utility won't prevent it using the ARP, so if the attribute is
registered, you get a Null pointer crash because it's calling
requester.getBytes().

I'm not sure what we should do there, but I'm thinking we should go ahead
and construct an ID, but log a warning.

I found two cases where a NullPointer was being thrown. 1. When the SHAR was unauthenticated. 2. When the attribute definition was configured with a dependency that didn't resolve with any values.

I changed this so that both cases now resolve the attribute with no values, adding a debug or error message, respectively.

It also warns me that I have an attribute registered w/o a data dependency,
but I'm not sure that should be a warning in every case. Probably comes from
the base class, so I don't know if its fixable from the derived class.

Right, this comes from the base class. I changed it to a debug message.

-Walter