shibboleth-dev - Re: packaging of mysql support

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: packaging of mysql support

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>, Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: packaging of mysql support
  • Date: 17 Jul 2003 15:42:48 -0400

I'll note that the dependency is only a build-time dependency. Users
who just install the binary package from us don't have to worry about
it -- we're already distributing the mysql library.

So the question is whether the default config should be based around
our own binary distribution or should we make it easier for people who
decide to rebuild Shib themselves from source?

Personally, I'm with Scott here -- we should base the default configs
on our binary distribution. Someone who wants to rebuild themselves
has already drunk from the time-sink coolaid.

-derek

"RL 'Bob' Morgan"
<>
writes:

> Hmm. I guess this gets to our previous discussion, whenever that was,
> about the expected configurations of deployers. Eg, do we write stuff up
> and prepare defaults etc with the expectation that HS and AA will be on
> different (replicated) boxes (which I think should happen soon, though I
> wouldn't delay 1.0.1 for it).
>
> I think we have to be careful about dependencies on both target and
> origin. I don't think anyone would call Shib easy to install, and while
> we can explain why, getting a rep as a time sink can be a bad thing.
>
> So the question (IMHO) with mysql is: is it likely enough to be of value
> to most targets that it's worth the pain of getting it to work or
> switching to some other method. My feeling is that the average target
> won't need stored-on-disk session info (how many have it now?), and would
> find a mysql dependency just another bump to get over. Sites that need
> the additional robustness it provides will be motivated to configure it
> in, since by definition they're bigger sites and it will be worth the
> time. I could easily be wrong about both the need for this feature and the
> difficulty of supporting it. But I do think we have to worry about each
> new dependency.
>
> - RL "Bob"

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available