shibboleth-dev - SAML subject formats and privacy

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

SAML subject formats and privacy

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Shib Design Team' <>
  • Subject: SAML subject formats and privacy
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:03:05 -0400

I just checked in a small set of origin changes to address a little issue
that I meant to fix a while back, but the GRID discussions prodded me.

I widened some of the APIs to support use of the standard SAML
NameIdentifier Format URIs for people that want to use the HS/AA as a
pure-SAML Authn/Attr Authority pair.

I also added an "identity" handle repository to allow for principal names to
be used as handles for deployments that don't want privacy, and a config
property for specifying the Format URI. So people that just want to use
Kerberos IDs or X.500 DNs as handles can do that now.

I wouldn't expect anybody to use it right now, but it should be an option.

We *might* be able to interop with a commercial SAML implementation with
this change, though I don't think many of them use the POST profile.