shibboleth-dev - Sites file tool documentation

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Sites file tool documentation

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Sites file tool documentation
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:48:17 -0400

At a basic level, this is pretty simple to document, but I guess the metadata
in general falls into the category of stuff that
straddles the "core docs" and "federation docs" border.

I guess we should document the fact that you need a metadata file enumerating
origin sites in some way, and we'll probably ship the
code with a small sample file showing how to create it. The default target
config will reference the local file.

The target now has a program (in /opt/shibboleth/bin) called siterefresh that
takes these parameters:

--url URL of the metadata file to retrieve
--out Local file to write the verified data into
--cert Optional certificate in PEM format to verify a signed file
--schema Optional base path of schemas
(defaults to /opt/shibboleth/etc/shibboleth/)

It will return 0 on success and a negative number on failure, as well as
logging errors to stderr.

An example run from within /opt/shibboleth/etc/shibboleth:

/opt/shibboleth/bin/siterefresh \
--url http://wayf.internet2.edu/shibboleth/sites.xml \
--out sites.xml --cert internet2.pem

You can put that in a crontab to keep the file refreshed. If the data is bad,
or the signature is invalid, the existing copy is
kept, and the program will return non-zero.

The shar and Apache processes stat the file each time the data is used, so
they pick up a changed version in real time as the system
runs.