shibboleth-dev - More on performance

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

More on performance

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: More on performance
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:56:44 -0400

One of these days I'll get it into my head that any hardware at OSU can be
assumed to be 50% slower than whatever somebody would run
to track their recipe database with.

I'm Sparc-challenged, so I didn't really have any good perspective until I
got to do some Intel testing. My numbers on a 2x666 P3
show HS response time of under 2 seconds for 20 users. 50 users still stays
under 6-7 seconds (which sucks, but this is not a
high-end box and that's a lot of logins).

After learning how to find out what the shib machines are (cat /proc/cpuinfo)
I noticed shibprod0 is a 1x1.2Ghz or so. It turns out
that that doesn't do all that much better, so clearly having the 2 or more
engines helps a lot, as you would expect.

A really high end Intel server would scream, and clearly a couple of 2 ways
load balanced would handle a sizable amount of login
traffic.

I have a new motherboard and CPU coming at home (2.5Ghz), so I'm inclined to
benchmark again on that, under Windows, and see what
that looks like.