shibboleth-dev - RE: EPPN via AA echo context?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: EPPN via AA echo context?

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'RL 'Bob' Morgan' <>, 'Shib Design Team' <>
  • Subject: RE: EPPN via AA echo context?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 19:37:49 -0500

> Tomcat is getting the REMOTE_USER env var (confirmed via
> snoop.jsp). But my test app only ever gets:
>
> HTTP_SHIB_EP_AFFILIATION ==
> ""

Presumably, there's an attribute command to map EPPN to REMOTE_USER? The
template config files come that way, just checking though.

> Now it is a (mis-)feature of my local signon system that
> REMOTE_USER is expressed as an unscoped userid, ie "rlmorgan"
> rather than
> ""
> (or actually
> ""
> which is the official Kerb
> principal). It isn't clear to me whether the origin code is
> expecting REMOTE_USER to be unscoped or not.

Unscoped. The echo context just appends the domain to the REMOTE_USER passed
to Tomcat by your Web ISO. I hacked on it to at least
support other variables besides REMOTE_USER, but it still just cats them
together.

> When I test using the Example U origin I also only get
> member@, but I assume that's the way that origin is set.

Probably, but I'll check.

> So, any enlightenment here? Are others successfully
> releasing EPPN? Twould be nice to demo some apps that need userid.

I do it routinely here. When you say that Tomcat is getting REMOTE_USER, but
your sample doesn't, what's your sample? If snoop.jsp
at a target sees EPPN in REMOTE_USER, I can't imagine why any other CGI
script wouldn't.