shibboleth-dev - Re: SHIRE/SHAR/RM proposal

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: SHIRE/SHAR/RM proposal

  • From: Derek Atkins <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: SHIRE/SHAR/RM proposal
  • Date: 27 Jun 2002 12:51:00 -0400

Scott Cantor
<>
writes:

> One question re: ONC, does it support aliased pointers these days? I
> built (and still use) a really nice tree-based abstraction on top of DCE
> that allows something close to the CORBA "any" model where the data in
> and out is dynamic. It more or less fixes the static interface problem
> that makes RPC so brittle and turns it into a run-time contract, which
> is kind of useful.
>
> The IDL is just a tree structure with linked lists, so it needs
> alias-aware marshalling. I was under the perhaps mistaken idea that ONC
> didn't support that at one point.

No, I do not believe it supports aliased pointers. OTOH, my intention
was to ship all the variable information (read: attributes) as an XML
strings rather than parsed data. Yes, it means you need to reparse
for every request, but my hope is that parsing the SAML isn't a
high-overhead operation (compared to, say, the network latency).

> What might be kind of cool is to think about building an XACML engine in
> Scheme.

Please, I don't want to lose my lunch... ;)

> -- Scott

-derek

Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)

PGP key available