shibboleth-dev - C++ builds and runs on Sun and Linux

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

C++ builds and runs on Sun and Linux

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: C++ builds and runs on Sun and Linux
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:32:24 -0400

I have the porting done and some basic Makefiles checked in for sun and
gcc respectively. It will build libsaml.so in opensaml/c/lib and
libshib.so and libeduPerson.so in shibboleth/c/lib, as well as the
shibtest AA tester. It doesn't create a tree for the whole thing yet,
but I added a LD_LIBRARY_PATH into my cvs tree so that I can run the
program.

I've run it more or less successfully on both platforms, so I think I
can get the module updated now. I'll try and get it at least working
tonight or early tomorrow so that the origin testing can wrap up.

One small note...to get UUID support on Unix, I decided to use Ted
T'so's version of libuuid that comes with his e2fsprogs package, which
appears to be fairly commonly installed on Linux. I believe it's LGPL'd,
but I'm looking into it to be sure.

He hasn't split it out from the rest of his package yet, so to get it
for Solaris, I had to do a partial build of the whole thing and copy out
just the libraries. We can just package it inside our tree, I expect.

His header isn't DCE compatible, though I could ifdef around that, but I
can't imagine enough people would have DCE on Sun or other platforms
that it would be worth avoiding the libuuid requirement for those few
people.