shibboleth-dev - Re: reminder - shib design call today - 4/8

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: reminder - shib design call today - 4/8

  • From: "Michael A. Grady" <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Re: reminder - shib design call today - 4/8
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:35:28 -0500 (CDT)

> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:01:20 -0400

> Subject: reminder - shib design call today - 4/8

> 2) Creating, managing ARPs. There was a lot of discussion about this,
> via email and last week's call. I've tried to write down my
> understanding of what we agreed on. Its available at:
>
> http://stc.cis.brown.edu/~stc/Projects/Shibboleth/UI/UI_Functionality.html
>
> NOTE: section 1.1 is taken from Scott's Arch doc; sections 1.2
> thru 1.4 have been edited - during today's call, I'd like to
> ensure that we agree on the contents of these sections. I've
> noticed a few minor discrepancies -- I'll save those for the call.

A couple of comments on the above document.

- for a multiply-valued attribute with a limited controlled vocabulary,
(e.g. eduPersonAffiliation) a web interface showing all possible values
with a checkbox is feasible. But for an attibute like 'memberOf',
or 'enrolledCourse', or 'eduPersonEntitlement', you'll need a
text box to enter a value, for:

- there will be no way to know all possible values

and/or

- the list would be prohibitively long

I'm not totally convinced that it should be possible for the institution
to force the release of an attribute for a user, but having the capability
certainly doesn't hurt anything. But note that the display for an individual
user will need to indicate (somehow) elements of all ARPs that end up
applying to them at that given moment, whether or not it is a Site-level
or delegated-level (resource or group) ARP.

And thinking about attributes like a 'memberOf/enrolledCourse' type
of attribute really makes me wish that the Shibboleth model had accommodated
someway of indicating in the request to the AA from the SHAR what value
of what attribute it was looking for. If Shibboleth and the sharing of
course resources ever really took of on a large scale, then:

- we have about 4000 courses a term, with about 11,000 sections
- if we don't want to release all values for an individual of their
'enrolledCourses' to a given SHAR/url, but only the specific one
applying to the section of the course they are taking that is using
that resource, then that means we actually have to manage as many
or more ARPs as we have courses/sections.

If, instead, we were setting a policy that said a general pool
of SHARs (Club Shibboleth, for example) could ask the specific
question of whether a given user was taking a specific
term/course/section (e.g. a directory 'compare' operation), it
might be possible to have a very limited number of Site/delegated
ARPs covering such.

Finally, I assume there is nothing specific about the initial design of the
ARP repository that necessarily ties it to a relational database versus
storing the ARPs in an LDAP directory?

--
Michael A. Grady

Senior Research Programmer http://ljordal.cso.uiuc.edu
Computing & Communications Services Office (217) 244-1253 phone
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (217) 265-5635 fax
Rm. 103, MC 680, 2212 Fox Drive, Suite C Champaign, IL 61820