shibboleth-dev - (small?) compiler issue on Solaris

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

(small?) compiler issue on Solaris

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: (small?) compiler issue on Solaris
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:28:13 -0500

It turns out that Xerces won't build on Solaris using gcc without
serious tweaking and the results are currently iffy at best. The
Sun/Forte compiler is the only one they support at the moment.

With C libraries this isn't usually a problem, but Xerces is a C++
library, and the name mangling makes it impractical to link gcc-compiled
code against a CC-compiled library.

I don't know if this is a major problem or not. The Sun compiler is
better as a rule, IMHO, and most large Solaris users tend to have it,
but it's not free. OSU has a site license, so I have it, but I don't
know about others. I can build code here on 2.6 and it should run fine
on 2.7 and 2.8 without requiring a rebuild, so that's one option.

(Xerces uses gcc on Linux, of course, and Visual C++ on Windows, so this
isn't a universal problem, but it does crop up on some of the other
commercial Unixes like HP-UX and AIX)