shibboleth-dev - RE: handle service and Apache?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: handle service and Apache?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: "'RL 'Bob' Morgan'" <>, "'Shibboleth Design Team'" <>
  • Subject: RE: handle service and Apache?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:15:35 -0500

> Just thinking about making the HS and pubcookie work
> together. The HS is a Java servlet, OK, and is expected, or
> is at least able, to live behind Apache, right, as opposed to
> running in a Java-based webserver?

Generally yes, but it's really up to the servlet container. If it
supports running with Apache as the HTTP engine, it can run that way. I
don't know of any common container that doesn't, but I don't know all of
them.

In Tomcat's case, the mod_jk module acts as a gateway between HTTP on
the Apache side and the socket protocol that interfaces the module to
Tomcat on the other.