ren-routing-security - Re: [REN-Routing-Security] Re: Presentation on ARTEMIS

Subject: REN Routing Security

Re: [REN-Routing-Security] Re: Presentation on ARTEMIS

  • From: Paul Howell <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Alberto Dainotti <>
  • Subject: Re: [REN-Routing-Security] Re: Presentation on ARTEMIS
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 19:26:39 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

Hi Everyone,

You'll find the recorded presentation at:

https://internet2.zoom.us/recording/share/PXVJ3UyluDPe7Tbz_5sIE0Iuiodr2uyhv2q_qo54IxiwIumekTziMw

And the slides are attached.

Regards,

Paul

From: <> on behalf of Paul Howell <>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM
To: "" <>
Cc: Alberto Dainotti <>

Hi,

Just a reminder that we will be meeting this Wednesday 5/23 at 4pm EDT -   https://internet2.zoom.us/j/364295664

Regards,

Paul

From: Paul Howell <>
Date: Monday, May 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM
To: "" <>
Cc: Alberto Dainotti <>
Subject: Presentation on ARTEMIS

Hi,

Our next team meeting is Wednesday May 23 from 4pm-5pm EDT.  The topic is ARTEMIS, an effort from CAIDA to thwart BGP hijacks.    Presenting will be Alberto Dainotti from CAIDA (http://www.caida.org/~alberto/).

From the summary page of ARTEMIS:

ARTEMIS: Neutralizing BGP Hijacking within a Minute

BGP prefix hijacking is a critical threat to Internet organizations and users. Despite the availability of several defense approaches (ranging from RPKI to popular third-party services), none of them solves the problem adequately in practice. They suffer from: (i) lack of detection comprehensiveness, allowing sophisticated attackers to evade detection, (ii) limited accuracy, especially in the case of third-party detection, (iii) delayed verification and mitigation of incidents, reaching up to days, and (iv) lack of privacy and of flexibility in post-hijack counteractions, from the side of network operators. In this work, we propose ARTEMIS, a defense approach (a) based on accurate and fast detection operated by the AS itself, leveraging the pervasiveness of publicly available BGP monitoring services and their recent shift towards real-time streaming, thus (b) enabling flexible and fast mitigation of hijacking events. Compared to previous work, our approach combines characteristics desirable to network operators such as comprehensiveness, accuracy, speed, privacy, and flexibility. Finally, we show through real-world experiments that, with the ARTEMIS approach, prefix hijacking can be neutralized within a minute.

The paper is available at http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2018/artemis/

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://internet2.zoom.us/j/364295664

Regards,

Paul