regional-network-technical - [WG-IRR] Internet2 NGI SHIM phase coming to your connection location!

Subject: Regional Technical Contacts

[WG-IRR] Internet2 NGI SHIM phase coming to your connection location!

  • From: Linda Roos <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [WG-IRR] Internet2 NGI SHIM phase coming to your connection location!
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 19:11:17 +0000

Hi,
We are pleased to announce that the NGI project is approaching the beginning of the SHIM phase, a significant milestone in the project. The SHIM allows us to unhook each connector from old Internet2 Network hardware and connect each to the new Cisco hardware through a patch, bridging the traffic through a transparent conduit across the Cisco hardware in anticipation of migrating individual services, through software changes, later this summer.

Each connector will be contacted individually by an Internet2 NOC engineer prior to the date of the SHIM of your connection location(s) to review the details of your connections. So, watch for the message from the Internet2 NOC engineer. Your site will also receive typical outage notifications for this work.

Want a review of SHIM? During the Internet2 NGI webinar on 4/14/21, Chris Wilkinson provided an excellent explanation of SHIM and what you can expect. The recording and slides from the webinar are here:
If you want to skip to the section on SHIM, go to 42:00 in the recording.

We are looking forward to working with you throughout the move of your connections and services over the next few months, beginning with the SHIM. Let me know what questions you have. Thanks.
Linda
Linda Roos
Sr Director, State and Regional Networks
Internet2

812-558-0615

  • [WG-IRR] Internet2 NGI SHIM phase coming to your connection location!, Linda Roos, 05/05/2021