perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] perfSONAR 5.1.0 now available

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] perfSONAR 5.1.0 now available

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: "Jackson, Wayne P. (GSFC-585.0)[Axient]" <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] perfSONAR 5.1.0 now available
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 13:09:53 -0700

Hi,

It depends on your setup. If you currently just have the “perfsonar-archive” package installed, if that updates to 5.1.0 then it will not pull-in any of our packages that touch the Grafana configuration. The only thing that might get updated is the Grafana package itself since we ship newer than 10.3 in our repos. If you did not install Grafana using dnf or apt then this wouldn’t happen though.

If you would like to have the perfSONAR packages manage your Grafana instance, you would need to install the "perfsonar-grafana” package using dnf or apt. This might interfere with your installation depending on how its setup. That package will setup a random admin password, setup some paths for provisioning datasources and dashboards and setup an apache reverse proxy that forwards port 443 to localhost:3000…though I don’t know how any of this would interact with your current setup. Additionally, if you also want a default set of dashboards you could install "perfsonar-grafana-toolkit” (which requires “perfsonar-grafana”). If you were to go this route then I’d backup any dashboards or datasources before the upgrade to be safe. You do not have to do any of this though if you don’t want, I’l just providing it for informational purposes.

We also have a ticket open on providing instructions for importing the dashboards into an existing Grafana install, which you can do through the Grafana UI. We need to complete those instructions but you can find the dashboard JSON here: https://github.com/perfsonar/grafana/tree/master/perfsonar-grafana/perfsonar-grafana/dashboards/toolkit. The only tricky part is that you will need to replace the datasource UIDs with the UIDs of the datasource you already created. You would also need to make sure you had all the plugins used installed. If you’re not comfortable doing this might be worth waiting until we have instructions.

Hope that helps,
Andy