perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Security guidance and http(s)

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Security guidance and http(s)

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: Tim Chown <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Security guidance and http(s)
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 19:55:59 +0000

Hi Tim,

I don’t think I realized that page existed. It seems to be pulled straight from an older version of this page: https://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_security.html

It seems to address your questions (no more port 80 and 443 is attributed to pscheduler). We should probably redirect to the docs page so there is a single source of truth and they don’t get out of sync.

If a site blocks 443 and wants external tests then reverse throughout tests will be most affected since the remote pscheduler will kickoff the test. Other tests like latency should work fine assuming nothing else is blocked. Another option is to run pscheduler on a non-standard port...which then requires additional configuration when defining the test in psconfig. See https://docs.perfsonar.net/psconfig_templates_advanced.html#using-non-standard-pscheduler-ports-and-addresses

Yet another option is to run a tespoint with 443 open and an archive + Grafana UI with 443 blocked in 5.1.0 if they just don’t want to expose the web pages.