perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Using Grafana to visualize previously collected data

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Using Grafana to visualize previously collected data

  • From: Andrew Gallo <>
  • To: "" <>, Andrew Lake <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Using Grafana to visualize previously collected data
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 10:14:01 -0500

I think I found out what was going on. Sharing this in case someone runs into the same problem.

Andy checked our setup and could see all the data since the tests started (thanks for checking, Andy!)

With that information, I started doing some digging--

TL;DR- I think my problem had to do with lack of host names at the start of the tests.

Longer version:
I setup two machines for some very specific, short term tests. I didn't create DNS entries, nor did I even bother to make entries in `/etc/hosts` for the test partners. To put another way, node A obviously knew it's own hostname, but didn't know the name of it's test partner, node B. I configured all tests by IP address.

When I imported the Endpoint Pair dashboard and gave it a try, I didn't see either of my hosts in the source/dest selector. Grabbing at straws, I added appropriate entries in the `hosts` file (eg, in node A, I created a local entry for node B).

I did this as one of the last things in the day, and the next day I started seeing data in Grafana. I didn't associate creating hostnames with seeing data in the dashboard right away.

I haven't used OpenSearch before; it appears that names are significant :)

Thank you.