perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] /usr/bin/ping from paris-traceroute vs /bin/ping from iputils-ping (ubuntu)

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] /usr/bin/ping from paris-traceroute vs /bin/ping from iputils-ping (ubuntu)

  • From: Andrej Ricnik <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] /usr/bin/ping from paris-traceroute vs /bin/ping from iputils-ping (ubuntu)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:43:09 +1200

Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated!

Cheers
--

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 at 03:25, Mark Feit <> wrote:

Andrej Ricnik writes:

What is the rationale for distributing a ping that's not SUID with perfsonar?

It comes in the default PATH before the system-provided ping and breaks interactive use for non-root users ...

Paris Traceroute has its own implementation of ping that we explicitly do not install on EL-based distributions.  It looks like there was an oversight in the Debian packaging that leaves it there.

I’ve opened an issue on this (https://github.com/perfsonar/pscheduler/issues/1350) and will get that fixed in the next bugfix release.  The package manager will take care of removing the stray ping binary during the upgrade.

--Mark

--

Andrej Ricnik

System Administrator