perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] How to add my own test to perfSONAR?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] How to add my own test to perfSONAR?

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: 黄 易雯 <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] How to add my own test to perfSONAR?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:29:18 +0000

易雯 writes:

I'm writing my own test tool named dig and I don't know how to add it to perfSONAR so I can call it with the pscheduler command: pscheduler task dig --query www.google.com

One thing to understand about pScheduler is that it isn’t a proxy for running specific programs.  It has a layer of abstraction between the tests and the tools that do the measurements, which is why link speed is measured with a “throughput” test and not an “iperf3” test.

pScheduler has a test called “dns” that will measure the time it takes to query a record and return the results:

$ pscheduler task dns --query www.google.com --record a

Waiting for result...

Time ......... PT0.025719S

A ............ 142.250.188.36

We wrote our own tool to do the measurement largely so we don’t have to write code to parse Dig’s output or keep up with changes in it.  Dig is more intended to be consumed by humans than programs, and it’s much easier to just make the library calls that do the equivalent.

My recommendation would be to first see if the existing DNS test and DNSpy test and tool do what you want.  If there’s something Dig does that our DNSpy tool doesn’t, writing a plugin for Dig wouldn’t be a difficult exercise.  We’d be happy to work with you on that process and would be willing to incorporate the plugin into the system and maintain it once it’s reached a stable state.  If there are test parameters or result data that aren’t in the existing test, we can expand it to include them.

--Mark