perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfsonar on unsupported OS

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfsonar on unsupported OS

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: "Brock, Anthony W" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfsonar on unsupported OS
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 19:38:42 +0000

Brock, Anthony W writes:

We are evaluating Oracle OCI as a new cloud-hosting service. As part of this, I would like to evaluate the network performance using perfsonar. Unfortunately while their current offering of pre-built images are based on Redhat 7 and 8, my attempts to install the RPMs have failed with various dependency errors (on the RH7 based image) or fail to download the metadata (on the RH8 based image).

There are CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu images available for OCI, so you should be able to build up a system that installs what we distribute.

So I’m starting to wonder if I might be better off trying to build/compile from scratch rather than use RPMs. However I have not found any useful documentation on this subject.

I don’t recommend trying to build the entire system from scratch.  There are a lot of moving parts and the whole process is pretty involved.  There have been test ports of pScheduler to Oracle Linux 8 and the hooks for it exist in the current code, but it’s not yet officially-supported.   I can re-check that it still functions if you absolutely need it; building that from scratch isn’t difficult.

On a related note, I gave a talk last year about the pitfalls of doing measurement in rented infrastructure that you might find useful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMFCQB2qtc8.

--Mark