perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Fwd: CI Engineering Lunch & Learn - Friday June 4th @ 2pm ET

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Fwd: CI Engineering Lunch & Learn - Friday June 4th @ 2pm ET

  • From: Jason Zurawski <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Fwd: CI Engineering Lunch & Learn - Friday June 4th @ 2pm ET
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 12:17:19 +0000

Greetings All;

Reminder of the talk occurring later today (yes, it will be recorded).  Pass along to anyone who may interested.

Thanks;

-jason

On June 1, 2021 at 8:53:34 AM, Jason Zurawski () wrote:

Greetings All;

The next CI Eng Lunch & Learn talk will occur Friday June 4th, 2021 @ 2pm ET.  The speakers will be Claudio Allocchio & Fabio Farina from GARR/GÉANT Project, and they will be talking about- "timemap: measuring latency and jitter on GEANT backbone (and beyond) ”.  Here is a quick abstract for the talk:

Monitoring a network without knowing how the data flows is like reporting traffic conditions an an highway ignoring transit times and stops-and-go situations: just of little use if you want to predict how your journey will be. Transit time and stop-and-go translate into data packets latency and delivery time jitters on network and Timemap is the tool we developed to monitor them inside the GEANT backbone, a tool which can be / hopefully will be implemented also inside other national and international backbones. Services and Applications in strict need to know latency and jitter conditions to work correctly are out there and used daily, and some of them (like the very low latency high quality videoconferencing services in use in Performing Arts education and real time interactivity) need this monitoring to ensure a quick and reliable debugging when problems happen, too. We will show how we implemented the monitoring tool, directly talking to backbone routers to get the data, storing them and displaying and analyzing them; all using standard and open source well established components, with nearly zero "new developed software" to ensure an easy sustainability of the tool. Furthermore, since we started to collect historic data, we discovered interesting events which happen on the backbone, which were quite difficult to detect before, expanding our knowledge of the network itself.

N.B. The Zoom number for 2021 is the same as 2020, connecting via computer preferred if you want to see materials, etc.  We ask that everyone *MUTE* on entry:

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 804 696 793
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aboUJCvWEZ

Join by SIP

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
221.122.88.195 (China)
115.114.131.7 (India)
213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
202.177.207.158 (Australia)
209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada)
Meeting ID: 804 696 793

Some other reminders and notes:

 - The next couple of talks as scheduled are:

1) June 4, 2021: Claudio Allocchio & Fabio Farina / GARR/GÉANT Project - "timemap: measuring latency and jitter on GEANT backbone (and beyond) ”
2) June 11, 2021: Edward Colone / University of Michigan - “NetBASILISK”
3) June 18, 2021: Julio Alvarado Negron / UCF & George Robb / ESnet, EPOC - “The Arecibo Observatory: Disaster, Recovery and What Comes Next"
4) July 23, 2021: University of Michigan Software Interns
5)  July 30, 2021: University of Michigan Software Interns

 - We need volunteers!  For those wishing to sign up, the link to do so is here (or shoot me a mail):

 - If you wish to invite others from your campus, please do (the zoom can support a very large number of people - more the better)

 - I have posted info on prior recordings to this location:

 - We use YouTube as well:

Thanks;

-jason