perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to use updated iperf3

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to use updated iperf3

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Ignacio Peluaga Lozada <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Unable to use updated iperf3
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:40:50 +0000

Ignacio Peluaga Lozada writes:

I have a perfSONAR toolkit which had iperf 3.1.7 and I updated it manually to 3.9 (uninstalled 3.1.7, then downloaded 3.9 from https://downloads.es.net/pub/iperf/).

3.1.7 was a documentation-fixes-only release that was never shipped with the toolkit and is also four years old.  All versions of the toolkit that had iperf3 3.1.x are well past end of life and are no longer supported.  Any toolkit that has been consistently upgraded to the latest should already be running 3.9.  We recommend doing regular updates for new features and security fixes.

I can run iperf3 on that server (located at /usr/bin/ with the same permissions other tools like traceroute, nuttcp, etc have) but pScheduler doesn't seem to find it. When I run a throughput test with '--tool iperf3', for example:  …  "pscheduler task --tool iperf3 throughput --dest psb01-gva.cern.ch"  …  I get:   …  "Failed to post task: Unable to complete request: No tool in common among the participants:  localhost offered nuttcp, iperf2, ethr;  psb01-gva.cern.ch offered iperf3, nuttcp, iperf2, ethr."

The package pscheduler-tool-iperf3 depends on iperf3.  If you allowed the package manager to remove dependencies when you uninstalled iperf3, that package and all of pScheduler’s understanding of iperf3 were uninstalled with it.

Also, we don’t recommend running the “pscheduler internal” family of commands unless advised by the development team.  Nothing you tried was harmful, but there are a few very pointy things in that drawer.

--Mark