perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Fwd: Re: Fwd: CI Engineering Brown Bag - Friday July 24th @ 2pm ET

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Fwd: Re: Fwd: CI Engineering Brown Bag - Friday July 24th @ 2pm ET

  • From: Michael Tiernan <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Fwd: Re: Fwd: CI Engineering Brown Bag - Friday July 24th @ 2pm ET
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:24:05 -0400

A followup sort of question for those on the list.

On 7/23/20 12:52 PM, Jason Zurawski wrote:

This talk will focus on the experiences at University of Michigan installing and testing perfSONAR on non-traditional hardware platforms such as network hardware (routers) and Single Board Computers such as the Raspberry Pi.  We will also talk about the new perfSONAR S3 storage plugin and perfSONAR plugin development methodologies.

Has anyone worked on a SBC (Raspberry Pi is my current interest) "Target" for some of this testing?

I know there's a CPU muscle issue for doing all the heavy lifting PS would impose on a system so I wonder if anyone's thought of creating a simplified target that can respond to tests from a more powerful host?

Implementation example might be to facilitate "Work from home" operations where the "Company" could test links out to employee's endpoints for reliability and a modest standard of speed test. (As well as availability.)

Plant a simple SBC unit at the target's home and let it respond to test requests from a primary server.
(Yes, I know that this goes against the primary design goal of PS of "De-centralized" operations but it seems like a reasonable offshoot.)

It might even be able to do lightweight testing back against the single host but that would just be a plus in the overall design.

Thanks for your time.

--
 << MCT >> Michael C Tiernan
 +1 (617) 324-9173 |  Slack: https://Bates-HPRCF.slack.com