perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] How to use TWAMP to perform RTT with TCP

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] How to use TWAMP to perform RTT with TCP

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Mike Cruzz <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] How to use TWAMP to perform RTT with TCP
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:28:42 +0000

Mike Cruzz writes:

I've been checking further on an issue we are troubleshooting and I have found
through the wireshark that when using twamp for RTT test, it uses the UDP
protocol for testing.

That would be the expected behavior.  RFC 5357, which defines the TWAMP protocol, specifies that the measurement be done by sending UDP packets.  There’s no provision for TCP, largely because TCP deals with packet loss before the program sees it.

Could you advise what is the way I can select TCP for testing packet loss
between 2 testpoints.

Throughput with iperf3 will show retransmits, which is as close as you can get with TCP.

--Mark