perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] python-flask vulnerability

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] python-flask vulnerability

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: perfSONAR-Developer <>, "Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[Arctic Slope Technical Services, Inc.]" <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] python-flask vulnerability
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 13:24:13 -0400

Hi,

That package comes from a CentOS repo, it is not one we maintain. It’s possible CentOS will backport a change, but not sure how quickly that always happens for the medium issues like that one.

I’m also not sure how the scanner in question is locating the vulnerability, but if it is just looking at version it’s likely not getting the whole picture since CentOS backports the patches. As is the case with most CentOS packages, the base version of the package is older but they backport patches for vulnerabilities. CentOS last updated that package a couple months ago, so it is still getting maintained. I can’t figure out a CVE that corresponds to the info provided by the scanner, so I am having trouble determining if it was already patched.

The next version of perfSONAR (4.3) moves to python3 and thus will move ahead that package. That’s getting close to beta, and we’d rather not risk moving past the supported CentOS version since we then inherit responsibility of backporting more serious issues when they arise and likely RedHat/CentOS will be faster than us in those cases.