perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] newbie problems with MaDDash

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] newbie problems with MaDDash

  • From: "Southworth, Doug Jontz" <>
  • To: perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] newbie problems with MaDDash
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:49:24 +0000

Good morning Pete,

I’ve been following this chain with your MaDDash install/configuration progress, and I have to say, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences. I’ve been working on the install documentation and feedback like yours is invaluable. It’s hard to write documentation when you know the process by heart because one tends to start making assumptions that the reader already knows the terminology or how the moving parts relate to one another.

In your last message you stated:

I have a suggestion for the section on the central management server. It starts with "Setting up the MaDDash server and esmond database system", and proceeds nicely, but then the command "psconfig remote add “https://ip-address-of-archive/psconfig/name-of-file.json”" appears. It's not clear that the command is executed on testpoints, not on the central management node.

Here’s the catch, you actually do have to run that command on the central management node. There is a separate, similar command for the testpoints: “psconfig remote add --configure-archives https://ip-address-of-archive/psconfig/name-of-file.json””. The only difference is the --configure-archives bit, which tells the testpoint to store its results on the central management server instead of locally. There’s usually some confusion about that when we lead a perfSONAR training class, that similar commands have to be run on the different components. I just thought I’d chime in and let you know.

Doug Southworth

Network Systems Analyst, Indiana University

2709 E 10th St. Bloomington In 47408

(812) 855-3172