perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler throughput test fails to complete after pS software upgrade

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler throughput test fails to complete after pS software upgrade

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: "Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[SGT INC]" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] pscheduler throughput test fails to complete after pS software upgrade
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 01:04:05 +0000

"Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[SGT INC]" writes:

One of my managed test nodes underwent a perfsonar software upgrade on Saturday morning.  Ever since the upgrade, outbound iperf3 throughput tests fail to complete.  The destination is a no-agent test node which I think might be running a perfsonar 4.0.x release.

Diagnostics from edclxw41.cr.usgs.gov:

  No diagnostics.

Error from edclxw41.cr.usgs.gov:

  iperf3 returned an error: exiting

It looks like iperf3 failed at the far end.  Earlier versions of the iperf3 plugin don’t collect sufficient diagnostic information when the tool fails, so getting to the bottom of this will require some cooperation from USGS.  (Looking at the current sources, we may need to re-think some of how that’s done.)  The failure should have left traces in the logs and, if not, turning debugging on for a few minutes will get good information.

Your end appears to have produced a usable result, which would seem to indicate that USGS worked well enough to produce it and died on the way out.  Iperf3 can sometimes be cagey about why it failed.  Bruce can correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to recall that parts of the error end up on different output streams.

I can’t reach pScheduler on the USGS machine (but I can reach the BWCTL and iperf3 servers) and was able to detect that the system is running iperf3 3.6.  That is the current version, released last June, so they’re not that far behind.

--Mark