perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] End-of-Life announcement for BWCTL and CentOS 6 perfSONAR packages

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] End-of-Life announcement for BWCTL and CentOS 6 perfSONAR packages

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] End-of-Life announcement for BWCTL and CentOS 6 perfSONAR packages
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 10:22:09 -0500

All,

Today marks six months from the release of perfSONAR 4.1 and thus the end-of life for items not included in that release. This consists of the BWCTL software and support for all perfSONAR packages on CentOS 6. Deprecation of BWCTL began in April 2017 with the release of pScheduler and this next phase was announced as part of the 4.1 release six months ago. Details have been available since that time at the following links:

BWCTL Support: http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_update.html#bwctl-support
CentOS 6 Support : http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_update.html#centos-6-support-discontinued

What does this mean? It means that from this point forward we will not be providing patches of any kind for BWCTL or any perfSONAR CentOS 6 packages. We are not forcibly removing BWCTL from perfSONAR hosts at this time, so it will continue to be installed for those that already have it, but running it is done at your own risk since we will not be providing patches or answering support questions related to its use.

For details on how to remove BWCTL, reasons why a test may continue to use BWCTL and pointers to a script to check if you have any tests using BWCTL see the BWCTL support link shared above.

Thank you,
The perfSONAR Development Team

  • [perfsonar-user] End-of-Life announcement for BWCTL and CentOS 6 perfSONAR packages, Andrew Lake, 02/15/2019