perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] RE: limits.conf file

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] RE: limits.conf file

  • From: Zhi-Wei Lu <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] RE: limits.conf file
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 17:06:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for pointing me to the right direction!  The problem was not the limits.conf file or perfsonar update, it was the “hidden” security devices that were blocking certain traffic between certain hosts.

Between p0 and p51, ssh, http, and other traffic works just fine, but the security device blocked the https traffic between those two hosts (and a few other personar boxes), pscheduler thus failed to work, and no perfsonar tests were scheduled and run.

After looking at the data, perfsonar tests between many hosts stopped working right after the security devices kicked inline (not all our traffics are sent to those security devices), it took us nearly two weeks to get management approval to remove perfsonar traffic from those security devices, and the security group responsible for the devices still claimed that no traffic were blocked for those perfsonar hosts!!!

Those security devices probably are causing problems for other systems with legitimate traffic, people may not notice right away.

Thanks again for helping us debug this problem.

Zhi-Wei Lu

IET-CR-Network Operations Center

University of California, Davis

(530) 752-0155