perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] AW: Automatic yum update changed the ssl.conf file

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] AW: Automatic yum update changed the ssl.conf file

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: , Alex Hsia <>
  • Cc: , "Garnizov, Ivan (RRZE)" <>,
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] AW: Automatic yum update changed the ssl.conf file
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 07:16:24 -0800
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

Hi,

Just a little background on this to add to what has already been said. By default on a Toolkit or another bundle with the perfsonar-toolkit-security package installed we follow the Mozilla “Intermediate compatibility” recommendations for CipherSuites as detailed here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS. This is a compromise between the most restrictive setting and the very open default settings you get when you install mod_ssl. These settings are changed by the script here on both fresh install and update: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/perfsonar/toolkit/master/scripts/configure_apache_security. We do this change on update because the recommendations change over time and we don’t want the average toolkit user to be stuck on whatever version they got first install. We also don’t ”leave alone if it has been changed” since we don’t want to get in the business of trying to figure out if it was made more or less restrictive or trying to figure out exactly who or what changed it. All of the above can obviously be revisited, but that is where it stands today.

That being said, we realize there are people that want more restrictive settings. The Toolkit is intended to be our most comprehensive bundle that takes control of a lot of the system settings. For people that want more control over settings like this, the best current solution is to run a different bundle such as perfsonar-core. One of the primary purposes of these bundles is to allow people to cherry-pick what system settings they want our packages to control. perfsonar-core does not touch the SSL configuration, firewall, sysctl, ntp or other various setting by default. One caveat is it also currently does not have the Toolkit GUI which can only be installed as part of the full toolkit since it makes various assumptions about how the system is setup. If all your tests come from a mesh currently, you may not have much need for the toolkit package anyways.

If you don’t need the GUI and want to handle the SSL and firewall settings yourself, the following should turn your existing toolkit host into a “core” host with our extra bundles for managing the system minus the security package.

rpm -e perfsonar-toolkit perfsonar-toolkit-systemenv perfsonar-toolkit-security

You can’t just remove the “perfsonar-toolkit-security” as the other two packages create a dependency path that will restore it on update. Also note that you will now be responsible for keeping the firewall up-to-date yourself as well. I understand this is not a perfect solution if you need the GUI, but if you need an immediate solution, this might be your best bet.

I think longer-term it might be beneficial to see how we can split-up the packages further so you can still get the GUI and the firewall settings. The perfSONAR project has a diverse set of requirements to serve and we are constantly trying to find ways to be more flexible for our users with specific requirements while giving sane defaults that protect users not as familiar with all the pieces.