perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Who can request a perfSONAR test?

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Who can request a perfSONAR test?

  • From: Hervey Allen <>
  • To: Mark Feit <>, Hyojoon Kim <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Who can request a perfSONAR test?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:04:30 -0800
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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

On 2/7/18 2:27 PM, Mark Feit wrote:
> Hervey Allen writes:
>
> Mark - Thank you for that example. We were just using the perfSONAR
> Testpoint bundle during a workshop and wanted to allow UDP tests from
> hosts on our subnet. If anyone is interested what we did is here:
>
> http://prp.ucsd.edu:8080/prpworkshop/materials/limits.conf
>
> btw... If this is not the way to do this I'd love to hear that as well.
>
> If you still want to allow the default things allowed by the limits file we
> ship with the toolkit, then your change is spot on. Technically, it allows
> hosts on your workshop LAN to do anything; you could add UDP throughput
> only with some additions to the limits and applications. In a lab or
> workshop setting, I'd put it wide open for anyone on the local segment as
> you've done.

Thank you Mark. Much appreciated.

Exactly - for purposes of just local network testing. If we were doing
this across domains, then I'd want more restrictions.

And, to the list, a < 50M bandwidth test is allowed by default. I.E.,
this works with no changes to the limits.conf file:

pscheduler task --tool iperf3 throughput --dest REMOTE_HOST --interval 2
-u --bandwidth 49M

But, we wanted to do:

pscheduler task --tool iperf3 throughput --dest REMOTE_HOST --interval 2
-u --bandwidth 500M

thus, the reason for the change.

> The example I posted for Joon is a bit more locked down and doesn't have
> any of the additional checks in the toolkit limits file that don't get used.

Thanks!

It's more useful and helps me to understand using the limits.conf file
better.

A side question - Once pScheduler is used by the GUI in Toolkit version
4.1 (is this correct?) - will changes to the limits.conf file take place
via items we tweak in the GUI?

I confess I have not dug through the list to see if this has already
been answered, so apologies if this is an obvious question.

- Hervey