perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfSONAR on a macbook pro latpop computer

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfSONAR on a macbook pro latpop computer

  • From: Mark Feit <>
  • To: Mark Yashar <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Installing perfSONAR on a macbook pro latpop computer
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:13:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:y9f/gROBXDLot6z89Okl6mtUPXoX/o7sNwtQ0KIMzox0K/X6rarrMEGX3/hxlliBBdydsK0UzbeO+4nbGkU+or+5+EgYd5JNUxJXwe43pCcHRPC/NEvgMfTxZDY7FskRHHVs/nW8LFQHUJ2mPw6aijSI4DUTAhTyMxZubqSwQ9aKzpf/6+fn3pTJYE15jSG9aKk6eBCnpB7Rv9M+i4Z4Kas1xwqPr3dVLbd432RtcHeahRW0yMqx4NY39ipduu4J9shcXL/8crhiC7FUEWJ1YCgO+MT3uEybHkO07XwGXzBTy0IQDg==
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

Mark Yashar writes:

I have installed perfSONAR on a VM (with CentOS OS) on a mac laptop for educational and testing purposes.

In order to set up tests between hosts with perfSONAR and to use perfSONAR toolkit commands such as bwctl,

iperf3, owamp, etc., along with the maddash dashboard, do I need an ethernet connection, i.e., a connection with an

ethernet cable between my mac laptop and an ethernet port or router, etc., or could these tests be carried out and

commands be successfully used with the wireless connection on the mac/laptop and shared with the VM?

perfSONAR doesn’t know or care whether the network connection is wired or wireless.  Depending on the relationship between the VM’s network interface and that on the host, you may not be able to do testing that originates on other hosts.  Tests originating on the VM will work just fine.

If you’re using the toolkit from the command line, be aware that BWCTL is deprecated and will no longer be supported in perfSONAR 4.1.  It has been replaced by pScheduler.  Documentation on how to use it is available at http://docs.perfsonar.net/pscheduler_intro.html, and NSRC has a nice video with some of the essentials at  https://learn.nsrc.org/perfsonar/pscheduler.

By the way, I think I have an un-sent draft reply to your last message about having difficulty getting the browser to display remotely.  Did you ever get that resolved?

--Mark