perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] RE: getting perfsonar bwctl results between two 3rd party nodes into esmond

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] RE: getting perfsonar bwctl results between two 3rd party nodes into esmond

  • From: "Uhl, George D. (GSFC-423.0)[SGT INC]" <>
  • To: "Garnizov, Ivan (RRZE)" <>, perfsonar-user <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] RE: getting perfsonar bwctl results between two 3rd party nodes into esmond
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 14:42:52 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:ilxD5RM2ptMpn1VMQdYl6mtUPXoX/o7sNwtQ0KIMzox0K/z/o8bcNUDSrc9gkEXOFd2CrakV0KyL7+u6CCQp2tWoiDg6aptCVhsI2409vjcLJ4q7M3D9N+PgdCcgHc5PBxdP9nC/NlVJSo6lPwWB6nK94iQPFRrhKAF7Ovr6GpLIj8Swyuu+54Dfbx9GiTe5b75+NhW7oAreusUIhYZpN7o8xAbOrnZUYepd2HlmJUiUnxby58ew+IBs/iFNsP8/9MBOTLv3cb0gQbNXEDopPWY15Nb2tRbYVguA+mEcUmQNnRVWBQXO8Qz3UY3wsiv+sep9xTWaMMjrRr06RTiu86FmQwLzhSwZKzA27n3Yis1ojKJavh2hoQB/w5XJa42RLfZyY7/Rcc8fSWdHUMlRTShBCZ6iYYUJAeQKIOJUo5D9qlcLqxa1GAuiC/71yjJQhnH4w7A00/gvHw/F0gMgHs4Bv3vPodrvKKsfS/q4wLXSwDjDaf5dxDfz6JLPchAkufyAU7x/ccrVyUU3CgjLj0ufqYv/PzOayOsGrmaV4/B9Xu6rimAptgF/rya2ysojlIXEiJgZxkzB+Sp93Yg7JMO2Q1N4b9C8DpZfsS+WPJZxT8MtXW5ovzw6yrIYtpKhYScG0oknxx7ba/GcdYiH+AnjW/yLLTd3g3JlZquyihCv+kauze38U9O70FdMriddjNbMrWoB1xrN5cibTPZ240Sv2S6X2gzO7uxJIlo4mbfGJ5Mj2LI8ioAfvVnDEyPogEn6kbGae0Y+9uS16OnqbK/qqoKdOoJ1kA3yL7oiltKnDeglMwUDW3KX9fq82bDs50H1Xa9Gg/44n6TfrZvUP94UprSjDA9Qyosj6wiwDzOh0NkAm3kIMVdFeAmZj4jvI1HOLu30Aeuhj1i2ljdk2uzJMqfnAprXNXjMiq3tfbl6605C0AYzzNZf6IxICrwZPf7+Xkz8uMbFAhMkMQG42frrBM9g2o4eR26DGqqZP7nTsV+M6OIvOe6MZIoNtTbyNfcl4OTujXAnllMHYKalx4YXaHC8Hvl9JUWWe2Hsjc0bHWcFuQo+UvTmiEeeXj5Le3ayQ6U86ykjCI24F4fDSJutgLuH3CihBJ1af31GCkuSHnfybIiEX/YMaDmOIs96jDAIT7mhS4k91R6wrg/6zaRoLvbK9iECq53sycV1tKXvkkR42jVuCcWP1H/JB0Bql2VABwUM7o0+6wQpy0mK1+53iuZeFM5U+dtHWxp8OZOKi6RiBsr8QQXHd83MVU2rWJ3yGTwrQMk2xdYUJltmFs+Kjxbf0jCsDqNP0bGHGcpn3Ljb2i27GsZ5jz7p2a47gFRubo0HdUKdqIU6q1KIQdaIoH62q+6LU48plmaZ+2qE12WD+k0eTQ50eaPMRnlZaUzI+4eqrnjeRqOjXOx0ejBKztSPf+4TMoDk

Ivan,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  In my case the two remote organizations have requested that I run throughput tests between their test points.   One of the organizations has the perfsonar tools bundle installed on an edge server limiting its role as that of a non-agent target participant in the mesh I manage.  The other party has an extensive publicly accessible perfsonar deployment used to monitor a major backbone network but they have requested that I conduct the tests using their test points under the assumption that I will collect and archive the test data.   Neither party is preventing me running scheduled throughput tests which I am currently doing from the CLI via a cron job.  What I’m looking for is a script that will archive the test results into esmond so that I can include that data in a dashboard that is used by the two organizations (plus my own) to troubleshoot ongoing intermittent network degradation issues.

In my mind the easiest, least laborious way to do that would be to integrate 3rd party-to-3rd party tests into an existing perfsonar deployment and leverage the perfsonar software to archive the test results. Since that’s not possible, I’m looking for a script or set of scripts (if they exist) that can take throughput test data and archive them into esmond.   I was fishing around on the perfsonar user list to see if anyone had done this before embarking on a script development effort of my own.

As a final thought, IMHO, the notion of operating unrestricted, publicly accessible perfsonar nodes is to permit tests from potentially unknown clients.

Thanks,
George