perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Questions about Maddash and Mesh Configurations

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Questions about Maddash and Mesh Configurations

  • From: Casey Russell <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Questions about Maddash and Mesh Configurations
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:14:19 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:FtM1BxO8xpYc0vquNc0l6mtUPXoX/o7sNwtQ0KIMzox0KPz4rarrMEGX3/hxlliBBdydsK0UzbeN+Pm9EUU7or+/81k6OKRWUBEEjchE1ycBO+WiTXPBEfjxciYhF95DXlI2t1uyMExSBdqsLwaK+i76vnYuHUC1LQdvKP/yHIfIytms2vqa+pvPbh9OiSbnJ75+MV/++R3crMcNho1rMOMs0RbTinpOZ+lMw250fxSekwuqtemq+5s22C1LtuNpzdNbSqj+e+xsRqZFFy8rN2Qd58TtrxTFCw2C+i1PAS0tjhNUDl2dv1nBVZDrv36iuw==

Group,

     I just want to basically confirm (or disconfirm) what I think I already know, and make sure I understand the current situation correctly.  I've done a recent overhaul of our Maddash dashboard, and in an effort to reduce the overall number of tests being run (and therefore host resources being consumed) I changed my throughput tests from "force_bidirectional 1" to "force_bidirectional 0".

     For context, we have 8 hosts using a published mesh configuration file and all test results are published to a central MA.

     Doing this (as I currently understand it) means there is no way (supported just in the mesh config file) to have the maddash dashboard display both forward and reverse throughput in a single graph.  You must click that host/pair in the vertical grid orientation to get one graph, and then click again in the corresponding horizontal orientation for the reverse direction.

So I guess I have 2 questions.

1.  Am I correct that "force_bidirectional 1" is the only way (without hand editing maddash.yaml) to see forward and reverse overlayed in a single graph?  (I do realize I can see them in the toolkit, but I mean in a maddash link)

2.  Am I correct that using "force_bidirectional 1" creates twice as many tests to be run (essentially 4 throughput test each "x hours" instead of 2)?

Sincerely,
Casey Russell
Network Engineer
KanREN