perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP w/ IPv6

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP w/ IPv6

  • From: Tim Chown <>
  • To: Valentin Vidic <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] OWAMP w/ IPv6
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:55:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Hi,

> On 27 Apr 2016, at 19:52, Valentin Vidic
> <>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 06:34:49PM +0000, Chris wrote:
>> I am trying to get IPv6 working. does anyone have any examples of ideas?
>>
>> I have two systems on the same NW, i can ping6, i owping v6 localhost but
>> anytime i try and owping with a v6 address i get:
>>
>> chris@cdkPI31:~$
>> owping fe80::ba27:ebff:fe45:144
>> owping: FILE=owping.c, LINE=1565, Unable to open control connection to
>> fe80::ba27:ebff:fe45:144.
>
> I'm not sure if it will work for owamp but local link IPv6 addresses
> usually require an interface suffix to work, for example:
>
> $ ping6 fe80::ba27:ebff:fe45:144%eth0

Indeed. For more details on use of and syntax for scope IDs, take a look at
RFC 4007 and RFC 6874. The former is general, the latter talks about the
specific example of scope IDs in URIs. It’s important for addresses with less
than global scope to be able to distinguish the interface to be used.

Where possible, you can/should avoid the need to disambiguate between
different links with link local prefixes by using global scope addresses, as
Jason pointed out.

But it might be nice also if these tools supported specifying the scope
ID/interface. With vanilla ping you can generally do this via the % syntax or
the -I interface option.

Tim