perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Iperf : Bandwidth clarification request

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Iperf : Bandwidth clarification request

  • From: "Tshabalala, Devine (Mr) (s210051701)" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Szymon Trocha <>, Shukri Wiener <>, Roderick Mooi <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Iperf : Bandwidth clarification request
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:13:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-ZA
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23

Good day

Hoping all is well, l am doing some bandwidth testing in a lab environment using iperf to determine the maximum achievable throughput on a 100Mbps link. I tested using the 64Kb windows size and got an average throughput of 82.7Mbps and l also used a window size of 96Kb which produced an average of 94.8Mbps. My question is , Why am l not achieving the full 100Mbps? I then ran again the iperf -w 64k and iperf - w 128Kb for 5 minutes to be able to collect the flow information using nfdump tool. On the console window l received almost similar results but the nfdump tool showed me different results for same window size . This gave rise to the second question of Why does the Nfdump indicates an improved iperf throughput compared to that shown on console window?. Lastly are there any formulas that are used to determine the achieve throughput that the iperf tool can produce?

The below are snapshots of my setup and the iperf testing done. Thank you

Kind regards

DevineTshabalala

Masters Student

Department School of ICT : l.T. Communication Networks

(North Campus)
Tel: 078 491 6130

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him and
Action is the foundational key to all success.