perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Monitoring Office365

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Monitoring Office365

  • From: Eli Dart <>
  • To: "Remsik,Robert" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Monitoring Office365
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:39:18 -0700

Hi Robert,

My recommendation is to find out which IP address ranges are associated with Office 365 (e.g. do a clean boot on your laptop, only open Office 365, look at the set of network connections, and track down which ones belong to Microsoft).

Next, do a traceroute toward those addresses.  My guess is that you connectivity is via the Front Range Gigapop, and after that you'll have to see.  If it goes via Internet2, you can do tests to the Internet2 perfSONAR hosts.  In that case, you'll want to ask Internet2 about their peering exits towards Microsoft, so that you can figure out which Internet2 perfSONAR host to test against.

If it goes directly from FRGP to a commodity provider, FRGP might be the last place you can test to. FRGP will be close enough to you that bandwidth testing may not tell you all that much (it might perform well even if there is packet loss which might affect performance), but OWAMP testing to monitor for loss is likely to be very useful.

So, really, the right thing to do is sleuth a bit and then see how much of the path traverses network which are instrumented with perfSONAR - then you can start on a test plan.

Hope this helps,

Eli