perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Help to debug non-working perfsonar boxen

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Help to debug non-working perfsonar boxen

  • From: Szymon Trocha <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Help to debug non-working perfsonar boxen
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:09:35 +0100

Hi Winnie,

W dniu 2014-12-19 o 15:58, Winnie Lacesso pisze:
Happy Friday!

Goodness this is a busy list. Lots to learn from reading posts about
various problems.
AND MANY THANKS to those who are answering!! Very helpful!

Think iptables is correct now on lcgnetmon (leaving aside lcgnetmon02 for
now) such that 861 is open, & 80+443 *only* to a required small set of
hosts. I hope. Ports above 1024 are not firewalled at all.

tail of most recently modified /var/log/perfsonar/*log looks better,
although it'll probably take at least a day before enough data is
accumulated to show up as, well, data.

Many more questions but here's a few: (I know I do have to read more of the
doc which hopefully will explain a lot)

lcgnetmon is for net.perfSONAR.Latency (in GOC-DB as such);
lcgnetmon02 is for net.perfSONAR.Bandwidth (ditto)

So, this makes sense to me:
root@lcgnetmon>
chkconfig --list | grep bw
bwctld 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
perfsonarbuoy_bw_collector 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off
6:off
perfsonarbuoy_bw_master 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

so why is owamp_bwctl.log active if lcgnetmon is a lat not a bw box ?
Maybe owamp_bwctl is not to do with bandwidth. Must read doc. (Here's
hoping the doc is detailed enough to discuss each service!)

owamp_bwctl.log is both for bw and latency tests
See: http://docs.perfsonar.net/manage_logs.html

lcgnetmon says:
Globally registered: No
That should be yes - does a human change this or will lcgnetmon change it
itself once data starts accumulating via its hopefully now correct iptables?

lcgnetmon02 says: Globally registered: Unknown
Same question - should be yes.......

What does /var/log/perfsonar/ls_registration_daemon.log say?

Szymon Trocha

Poznań Supercomputing & Netw. Center ::: NETWORK OPERATION CENTER
Tel. +48 618582022 ::: http://noc.man.poznan.pl