perfsonar-user - RE: [perfsonar-user] Different results from iperf3 vs. bwctl -T iperf3

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

RE: [perfsonar-user] Different results from iperf3 vs. bwctl -T iperf3

  • From: Tim Rayner <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>, Aaron Brown <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [perfsonar-user] Different results from iperf3 vs. bwctl -T iperf3
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 19:43:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US

Hi Brian & others
>On 05/12/2014 20:39, Brian Candler wrote:
>> But: using bwctl I am still getting lower figures than iperf3 by
>> itself. What flags or options is bwctl running iperf3 with?

>OK, I think I found it.
>
>Short version: bwctl unconditionally sets the zerocopy (-Z) option on
>iperf3, and this is reducing the performance.

I have also noticed that the -Z flag seems to be invoked automatically, but
not reported as such in the output results.

>Should it just be turned off, or made a flag to bwctl?

Please don't turn it off!

With our hardware, it was the difference between achieving line rate 10Gbps
and not. Initially I couldn't explain why the bwctl results between hosts
were ~>9.5 Gbps, but my manual iperf3 results were only 8.2 Gbps. When I
discovered the -Z option for iperf3 client it was clear that this made the
difference..

On our hardware (supermico blade servers with "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620
v2 @ 2.10GHz" ) with integrated ixgbe 10GigE SFP+ interface, the -Z option
to iperf3 performs noticeably better.

I'd be happy to see the iperf3 -Z option to be made a bwctl option, or at
least reported with the bwctl test results - it was quite confusing get
poorer performance when I copied and pasted the reported iperf3 invocation
from bwctl results.

Regards

Tim.