perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] Percentage of time

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] Percentage of time

  • From: Aaron Brown <>
  • To: Brian Candler <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] Percentage of time
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 16:15:01 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hey Brian,

That’s due to some specifics of bwctl. You’re correct that it’s running 2 different tests (sending/receiving), but beyond that, the bwctl tests themselves run longer than the duration specified due to slop between the remote host's, and local host’s respective times. This slop gets applied to both the beginning and end of tests since neither side can really be sure what the remote hosts sense of “now” is. Because we can’t calculate the amount of slop a priori, we have to just put in something. Since this is meant to be more a rule of thumb to prevent you from overscheduling, I conservatively did it at 15 seconds (i.e. 7.5 seconds of slop on either side).

Cheers,
Aaron