perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Re: Testing between third-party endpoints

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Re: Testing between third-party endpoints

  • From: Brian Candler <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Re: Testing between third-party endpoints
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:21:31 +0000

On 26/11/2014 13:03, Brian Candler wrote:
Q3: In the main results page, I see a throughput figure src-dst, but dst-src is "n/a". Is it only measuring incoming traffic then? Is it possible to get measurement in the opposite direction as well?

I don't see how to configure this when I edit the configuration of a throughput test.

Q4: Probably a silly question, but when I view a throughput graph, I see a large graph at the top and a small graph at the bottom (with no vertical axis legend). What's the bottom graph showing?

I found the description of the bottom time selector at http://docs.perfsonar.net/using_graphs.html, so that solves Q4.
Q5: I have scheduled ping tests, but I can't see the results anywhere. The main page shows n/a for packet loss and latency. Is there anything which the remote hosts need for this to work?
I can answer Q3 and Q5 myself now.

My two other test endpoints are Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty). The version of bwctl in the those repositories is old (1.4.1), and either doesn't have or wasn't compiled with bwping and bwtraceroute support. It could only drive iperf (not iperf3) and nuttcp.

So I built iperf3 and bwctl from the 15.04 (Vivid) source packages. After deploying these, I now get graphs for "reverse throughput" and "ping", in addition to "throughput" that I had before. That solves Q3 and Q5 - although I still don't get "reverse ping". But installing owampd (which I compiled from source) I am able to get the loss and latency graphs.

So it looks in principle like I could use existing stations as endpoints. However I get a warning that "STA_NANO should be set": does this mean that the kernel and/or ntpd supplied as part of the perfsonar toolkit are specially optimised?

Oh, and minor bug report:
The link at http://software.internet2.edu/owamp/download.html whose text points to the owamp download, actually points to the /ndt/ directory as its target.

Still interested in answers to Q1, Q2 and Q6 :-)

Regards,

Brian.