perfsonar-user - [perfsonar-user] Java security Update

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

[perfsonar-user] Java security Update

  • From: Peter Jacobs <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [perfsonar-user] Java security Update
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:42:51 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

In a moment of weakness I allowed Java to complete an update on my Windows desktop (yes, I am one of them).  It jumped me to Version 8, Update 25.  In this version the security screws are so tight that both NDT and NPAD testing failed to execute, even with the servers added to the Java configuration Exception Site List.

I have learned that Version 7 Update 71 has the same security patches as 8/25, so I removed 8/25 and installed 7/71.  It does work with NDT and NPAD…for now.  I expect the developers of the NDT and NPAD tools will figure it all out.  I am sure that staying ahead of Oracle is a challenge when there is likely no communication.

Thanks for all the hard work.  It still amazes me the effort required to stay ahead and keep this product set working.

Peter

Peter E.    (506)447-3035

Director, Research Support Services

UNB – Information Technology Services

  • [perfsonar-user] Java security Update, Peter Jacobs, 10/17/2014