perfsonar-user - Re: [perfsonar-user] BWCTL and OWAMP on the same host

Subject: perfSONAR User Q&A and Other Discussion

Re: [perfsonar-user] BWCTL and OWAMP on the same host

  • From: Andrew Lake <>
  • To: Kathy Benninger <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [perfsonar-user] BWCTL and OWAMP on the same host
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:37:31 -0400

Hi,

Comments inline:

On Apr 21, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Kathy Benninger

> I would like to ask for clarification of the operation of BWCTL and OWAMP
> on the same host and same interface:
>
> When running on the same host and same interface, my understanding is that
> a BWCTL throughput test will disrupt OWAMP results when the throughput test
> runs. I.e. there is no scheduling process that pauses OWAMP while the
> throughput test runs. Hence, the recommendation that OWAMP and BWCTL
> throughput testing be run on different interfaces. Is that correct?

That is correct. the owamp tests currently run constantly and have no
knowledge of the throughput test schedule (and vice versa). Forthcoming
version 3.4 of the Toolkit will have features that allow owamp and throughput
tests to be run on different interfaces, the current version does not allow
this (at least not without jumping through a lot of complicated hoops).

> I think I read that there is a plan to add owping to BWCTL test options to
> enable third part testing. Is that in the plans?

It actually already works as of version 1.5 of bwctl that was released
earlier this year. This is the version running on the latest Toolkit. You can
run the command bwping as follows (replacing<sending-host> and
<receiving-host> with your endpoints) to perform third-party owpings :

bwping -T owamp -s <sending-host> -c <receiving-host>

See the help page for more options. For what it's worth, cou can also run
bwtraceroute to do third party traceroutes and tracepaths.

Hope that helps,